The health information exchange (HIE) is a secure, standardized electronic system where health care providers can share important patient information, giving them the tools they need to make more informed treatment decisions, especially in an emergency. Read more about HealthInfoNet and its history.
The HIE links medical information from separate health care sites to create a single electronic patient health record. This record is accessible to a patient’s authorized health care providers to support treatment. Read more about the benefits of using the HIE.
Clinical Information available in the HIE:
- Patient Identifier and Demographics
- Encounter History
- Vital signs
- Laboratory and Microbiology Results
- Radiology Reports
- Adverse Reactions/Allergies
- Medication History (Clinical and Claims)
- Diagnosis/Conditions/Problems (primary and secondary)
- Dictated/Transcribed Documents
The majority of Maine’s hospitals and a growing number of physician practices and other care sites are sharing information in the HIE. Does your organization participate, check our participant map, and if not, get in touch.